Wednesday, 17 July 2013

Lovely Lamb Bolognese


Doesn't look so lovely does it? For years I've made my bolognese with beef mince but I recently made the switch to lamb and now there is no looking back!  This is probably my favourite bolognese recipe, even if it's not very authentic. I mean, bolognese doesn't really even exist in Italy so it's never really going to be authentic is it.

It's such an easy dinner to make as lots of the ingredients are things I normally always have in anyhow, and generally just need to pop out to buy the mince. It's also a good one as all the family love it, goes down a treat.

I've included the pancetta as optional because I don't always use it. If I've got some in my fridge I'll bung it in, else I just won't bother. It's just as good without.  With regard to the herbs, I use the Italian Herb Seasoning from Schwartz but you could just use a mixture of oregano, thyme, basil, sage and bay leaves.

This recipe is easily doubled or halved and freezes really well. I tend to make a bumper batch of it at once so I have a few dinners in the freezer.

Lovely Lamb Bolognese

Ingredients

1 small red onion finely chopped
70g cubed pancetta (optional)
500g pack minced lamb
250g sliced mushrooms
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 tbsp sun-dried tomato puree
400g can finely chopped tomatoes
150ml red wine
1 tsp dried mixed herbs 

Method

Heat a little oil in a heavy-bottomed large frying pan and gently saute the onions and pancetta until tender, stirring occasionally.

Add the lamb mince to the pan and brown for around 5 minutes, using a wooden spoon to break it up as you go. Throw in the sliced mushrooms and cook for around 3 minutes before stirring in the minced garlic and tomato puree and cooking for a further 2 minutes.

Add the red wine and chopped tomatoes along with the dried herbs and some extra seasoning. Mix everything well and bring to boil. Leave to simmer and thicken for 15 minutes.

Taste and add more seasoning if required.

If it hasn't thickened enough, you can quite easily leave this bubbling away on the hob for a little longer. 

I generally serve with spaghetti as that is the children's favourite but as you can see penne is also a favourite choice in our house. This is also lovely with a jacket potato.


1 comment:

  1. I love bolognese and this one sounds really nice. I like the idea of using lamb for a change.

    ReplyDelete

I always like to hear your thoughts, so please do leave a comment!