Wednesday, 6 March 2013

Matchmaker Brownies


I don't know about anyone else, but in our house we still have a glut of Christmas chocolate. I made a resolution to get rid of it before Easter and do you know what? I'm going to bake it all. It's a far more interesting way of eating it all up!

The first thing I needed to get rid of was a box of Matchmakers, so I decided to whip up a recipe I saw on BBC Good Food, which I've adapted slightly. Now as per the original recipe, my brownies are made with mint flavoured Matchmakers as that is what I had in the cupboard but there's no reason why orange wouldn't work just as well. I'm actually keen to try that now! Maybe next time.

The calorie content in this brownies, as with all brownies I should expect, is a bit horrific at 411 calories per serving but the original recipe only suggests it makes 12 servings - they'd be HUGE! I cut my slab into about 24 brownies as I like them to be just a little over bite-size.

In terms of consistency, these are more cakey than fudgy which I think is how I prefer them. Sometimes when they're fudgy, they seem a little undercooked. I'm sure they are not but I think it's just a texture thing. 

If you want to be true to the original recipe you can use dark chocolate, peppermint essence and icing sugar to top the brownies, but seriously it doesn't need it as the Matchmakers are minty enough so I just drizzled melted white chocolate over mine!

Matchmaker Brownies

Ingredients

100g unsalted butter, chopped
200g dark chocolate, chopped (I used Bourneville)
4 eggs
250g golden caster sugar
100g plain flour
1tsp baking powder
30g cocoa
1 box of Matchmakers, roughly chopped

For the icing;
100g white chocolate

Method

Heat the oven to 180c/gas mark 4. Line a brownie tin with baking parchment.

Melt the dark chocolate and the butter together in a bowl over a pan of simmering water. Leave to one side to cool slightly.

In another bowl whisk the eggs and sugar together until light and fluffy. Fold the melted chocolate into the egg mixture and then sift on the flour, cocoa powder and baking powder. Gently fold the flour in along with the chopped Matchmakers and you should get a batter that feels a bit fudgy. 

Carefully spoon into the tin and smooth over the surface. Bake in the oven for about 25-30 minutes, until the top is just starting to crack and the middle is set. Leave in the tin to cool completely.

Melt the white chocolate in a bowl over a pan of simmering water and then drizzle over the brownies any which way you like! Leave to set and then cut into squares.

I still have Smarties, Chocolate Orange, Ferrero Rocher and Lindor to get through, so watch this space!

2 comments:

  1. I love the sound of the mint-choc flavour of your brownies :-)

    ReplyDelete

I always like to hear your thoughts, so please do leave a comment!