Tuesday, 26 March 2013

Cob-Knobs


I discovered this recipe for "Cob-Knobs" in a very old Northumberland WI Cookery Book - you know the type of book that is spiral bound and looks like it's been knocked up at home on a typewriter? I'm telling you, these books have an absolute wealth of recipes in them!

I was intrigued by Cob-Knobs - there's no pictures in the book - and fully expected them to be similar to Hobnob biscuits, I mean they must have got the name somewhere right? Well I wasn't disappointed - they were very similar to Hobnobs except with the addition of coconut in them (I don't think Hobnobs have coconut in them do they?).  A bit of further research tells me the ingredients are very much the same as Anzac biscuits, the sweet biscuits popular in Australia and New Zealand. Of course, Anzac is protected under Australian law so this may be why these very similar biscuits have a different name in this book.

The biscuits turned out better than I had hoped, especially as I had to complete wing it on the ingredients. The method of measurement used was a "breakfast cup" which wasn't entirely helpful. Seeing as we don't use cups as a form of measurement in this country it does lead me to believe that this could be an adapted Aussie or NZ recipe. I Googled a bit and discovered that a UK breakfast cup is roughly 1.2 US cups so I based my measurements on that and it all came out fine. Possibly it was a bit too much sugar as they did taste quite sweet but not overly so and they were lovely with a cup of tea!

Cob-Knobs

Ingredients

150g self raising flour
225g caster sugar
90g porridge oats
90g desiccated coconut
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 oz margarine (I used Stork)
3 tbsp golden syrup 
4 tbsp boiling water

Method

Pre-heat the oven to 220c/gas mark 7 and grease a large baking sheet.

In a large bowl, mix together all the dry ingredients and rub in the margerine.

Make a well in the centre of the mixture and pour in the golden syrup and the boiling water. Mix together then put teaspoonfuls onto your baking sheet. You may need more than one baking sheet as you need to space the teaspoonfuls out - they will flatten and spread like cookies. 

Bake in the oven for about 10 minutes until golden brown.

You may need to use more water if the mixture doesn't combine very well or is still a bit dry. I just went with it and ended up using about 6 tbsp so play it by ear and make a judgement.

These biscuits would be lovely for a picnic and they keep well in a tin for a good few days.

5 comments:

  1. They look tasty! And I do like a wee bikkie with a cuppa so will ave to try them sometime. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're really nice and keep well for a good few days.

      Delete
  2. Oh yum! These are really similar to ANZAC biccies and a staple of many Aussie an family's biccie tin. I often make them as a tray back when I can't be faffed doing individual biscuits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never had Anzac biscuits before but I did check it out and seems they are pretty much identical!

      Delete
  3. Oh yum! These are really similar to ANZAC biccies and a staple of many Aussie an family's biccie tin. I often make them as a tray back when I can't be faffed doing individual biscuits.

    ReplyDelete

I always like to hear your thoughts, so please do leave a comment!