Tuesday, 19 February 2013

Lamb and Spinach Curry


This lamb and spinach curry is adapted from a BBC Good Food recipe and is a good one. It's very easy to double on and freezes well so excellent for batch cooking. I know this because our plans changed one night and the lamb was going out of date so I made this to go straight into the freezer. I wasn't sure about the spinach aspect so I left that out and added that during the reheating process.

I make curry a lot but I've never found the Holy Grail of curries yet although this one was pretty darned tasty. It was spicy, not too spicy but enough to tingle your lips and give you a bit of a nose run going on, and it smelled divine when it was cooking. I'll definitely make it again in the future.

This recipe serves 4.

Lamb and Spinach Curry

Ingredients

small chunk ginger, peeled and chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 onions, roughly chopped
2 green chilies, sliced
1 tbsp oil 
1 tbsp ground cumin
1 tbsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp hot chilli powder
600g lamb neck fillet, diced
4 tomatoes, deseeded and chopped
1 tbsp tomato puree
100g spinach

Method

Pop the chopped ginger, garlic and onions into a food processor and whizz until they form a paste.  

In a large pan (with a lid) heat 1 tbsp oil and then add the paste, the chopped green chillies and 1/2 tsp salt. Cook for around 4 minutes until fragrant.

Add the spices to the pan and cook for a few more minutes. Put the diced lamb into the pan and cook until browned. Stir in the tomatoes, the tomato puree and a cup of water. Bring to a simmer and cover and cook for an hour.

After the hour is up, add the spinach to the pan and cook for a further 15 minutes.

It does take a fair bit of effort to chop everything although I tend to use my Kenwood Mini Chopper for that and if you want to take some of the work out, you could always use some finely chopped tinned tomatoes instead of fresh - that would definitely reduce the prep time and would work perfectly well.

I served this with pilau rice and some garlic and coriander naan breads.  Which I didn't make just so you know. I bought them from Waitrose and they were delish!


4 comments:

  1. Oooo i love s good curry recipe. Yum.
    Always find lamb the best meat for a curry aswell, holds up well with strong flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made a curry Monday night with leftover lamb from Sunday. It was lush - and I found it online here http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2010/oct/17/recipes-ofm-cookbook (just search lamb!)

    BNM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I loved this recipe, very nutritious and tasty.

    Regards,

    Photorecipe

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds lovely. We're having curry at the end of the week - need something to warm us up!

    ReplyDelete

I always like to hear your thoughts, so please do leave a comment!