Wednesday, 10 October 2012

To NaNoWriMo or not to NaNoWriMo?


Now we're making headway through October, my mind has turned to NaNoWriMo which starts in just over 21 days. If you've not heard of NaNoWriMo, it stands for National Novel Writing Month and the goal is to write a 50,000 word novel by the end of November 30th. 

I am currently debating (with myself) whether to join in. I attempted it last year and failed miserably, not nearly reaching the target of 50,000. Actually, perhaps I am being a bit harsh  on myself as I did manage to get 16,000 words down which is more than I've ever achieved before so I guess I did achieve something.

Why do I want to join in NaNoWriMo? I've aways wanted to write a book, I feel I could write a book but I lack motivation to actually get going with it. I always feel slightly intimidated and would be mortified to actually let someone read it. Which doesn't really bode well for an wannabe-author does it. Starting NaNoWriMo last year made me actually take time out of my day to sit and write and I enjoyed feeling just a little bit creative every day. Where it went wrong for me was when I was too busy due to work or after school commitments and had to skip a day or two. I felt a little be like I was losing my way and I'd never achieve it so I gave up. I am a quitter!

Do I think I could do better this year? I don't know. I certainly don't feel like I could achieve the 50,000 but maybe I could go a little further than I did before. I'm just not sure if it's worth setting out on a journey that you are doomed to fail.

Sure I could just write anyway, without the pressure and see where I get to but I think I am one of those people that needs a goal or target to reach to push me on. I wish I was less of a procrastinator and more motivated.

Are any of you guys planning on taking part in 2013? Or have you done NaNoWriMo in the past? I'd love to hear from you to help me make my decision!




4 comments:

  1. I'd forgotten about it. I wanted to do it last year but I was starting a new job and it just wasn't the right time for such a commitment. This year things are a lot calmer so I'm going to think about it seriously. And 16,000 words in nothing to sneeze at - maybe you cold build on that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I run a support group for people taking part in NaNoWriMo and although I haven't had time to both run the group AND write my own novel for a few years, I hope to get back on the writing horse once I graduate from university this June. So maybe I'll be NaNoing in 2013! I say go for it - aim to write more than last year and that will be success :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. First off 16,000 words is really impressive!
    I'm going to have a go this year as part of my challenge a month but as I know most people fail their first year I'm going to try and write a chapter each day and just see how well I do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd forgotten about it as well until your post and maybe somewhat too hastily, I went and signed up :S
    I'm now a bit nervous because I've never tried writing a novel before, although I've wanted to since I was a teenager.
    I figured though, if I didn't give it a try, I'd never know.
    Like you, I can't imagine ever letting anyone read it so it's a bit worrying knowing you have to submit it at the end if you make the required word count!

    ReplyDelete

I always like to hear your thoughts, so please do leave a comment!