Sunday, 21 October 2012

Iced Shortbread Biscuits


I've posted a recipe for iced biscuits before but last weekend the children decided that they wanted to make biscuits to decorate and the boy perused the recipe books and picked this one from a Dorling Kindersley children's baking book.

This recipe is an incredibly basic shortbread recipe but you can of course spice it up in any way you like by adding flavours or extra ingredients like nuts, chocolate chips etc.  We stayed with the basic plain shortbread and spent a very happy afternoon rolling dough and cutting out a variety of shapes before decorating them with bowls of icing, icing pens and a variety of sprinkles.

I like this recipe because it's ingredients we always have at home which makes it the perfect rainy day activity!


Iced Shortbread Biscuits

Ingredients

150g plain flour
50g caster sugar
100g butter

Method

Put all the ingredients into a mixing bowl and rub the mixture between your thumbs and fingertips. When the mixture looks crumbly (you're looking for a kind of breadcrumb consistency) squeeze it together to make a ball of dough.

Preheat the oven to 170c/gas mark 3.

Sprinkle flour onto your work surface and your rolling pin. Roll out the dough until its 5mm thick. Now you're ready to choose your cookie cutters and get shaping.

Grease a baking tray and place your cut out shapes on the tray, leaving a little space between them.  Pop them in the oven for 15 minutes.

Carefully remove the tray from the oven and let them cool for a few minutes on the tray before transferring to a cooling rack.

Once cool you can then set to work with your icing and sprinkles!


I always find with shortbread that it can work out a little too short. If this happens and it doesn't really come together in a ball, add a tiny splash of water but go carefully, don't add too much or else you'll get into a right mess!

Other tips, I tend to cut the ball of dough in half and roll one at a time, much easier. I also find that whatever I do the dough sticks to the rolling pin, so now I put a sheet of baking parchment or greaseproof paper on top of the dough and roll over that - works a treat!

I really liked the texture and taste of these biscuits although the children were quite protective so I didn't get to sample many! I shall be using this recipe and adapting flavours to make some Christmas biscuits this year.

3 comments:

  1. We love baking in our house but I have yet to perfect shortbread, it is normally too short so will try your water tip and the greeseproof paper. Thanks for popping by my blog, your comments were useful - my first experience of photobox was excellent and the quality superb which was why I returned so readily, I think I am just frustrated and a little apprehensive about doing a reprint, I just need an actual human voice to tell me the order will go smoothly but object to the extorinate phone costs to get that reassurance!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look yummy! I think I might have a go with my children.
    Thanks for linking #LetKidsBeKids

    ReplyDelete

I always like to hear your thoughts, so please do leave a comment!