Thursday, 11 October 2012

Chilli Tacos


I am going to say two things. Firstly, this is probably the second recipe I have on here for Chilli Tacos and this one is also a keeper. Secondly, just how blinkin' awful is that taco photo? I'm sorry but tacos are not very photogenic and impossibly to fill neatly.  They are also definitely not what I would call a "first date" food. No way.  I'm sorry, that's absolutely the best shot I could get of my taco. Look, the mince isn't even all the way at the bottom. Next time I am reverting to the taco trays. Way easier.

Now that's out of the way, let me tell you about the tacos. This chilli recipe is from the Hairy Bikers Hairy Dieters book and therefore quite a healthy dinner. The Hairy Bikers make this and put it in tortilla bowls but I fancied tacos and I believe that makes it less calories too. Although I suspect due to the amount of soured cream and cheddar I put on mine, it more or less equalled itself out.

Both Mr M and I really enjoyed this for tea, it was relatively quick and simple, if you can get past the fact that there are an awful lot of ingredients to this dinner and was very tasty and satisfying!  What I would say is don't be tempted to use a mild chilli powder, I think it needs the hot for the flavour, it definitely wasn't too spicy.

This recipe serves 4. Apparently. Me and Mr M managed to eat the lot. Big pigs that we are.

Chilli Tacos

Ingredients

For the chilli;
400g lean minced beef
1 onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp hot chilli powder
2 tbsp tomato puree
1/2 tsp caster sugar
300ml beef stock

taco shells
1 tsp sunflower oil
1 romaine lettuce, thickly shredded
3 tomatoes, sliced
half a cucumber, sliced
4 spring onions, trimmed and sliced
juice of 1/2 lime
40g mature cheddar cheese, grated
pot of soured cream, to serve
pot of tomato salsa, to serve

Method

Pop the minced beef, chopped onion and garlic into a medium-sized saucepan (one that has a lid as you'll need that later) and cook over a high heat for 5 minutes, stirring to break up any clumps of mince. Stir in the cumin, coriander and chilli and cook for a further 2 minutes, stirring all the time.

Add the tomato puree, sugar and beef stock to the pan and bring to a simmer. Put the lid on the pan and leave to simmer gently on a low heat for around 30 minutes. Check and stir occasionally.

Remove the lid from the saucepan and turn the heat up to high. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly until most of the liquid has evaporated and the beef is starting to look fairly dry. Remove from the heat. 

You can either assemble your tacos with the salad, cheese, soured cream and salsa now, or do as I do and take everything to the table where everybody assembles their own!

1 comment:

I always like to hear your thoughts, so please do leave a comment!