Tuesday, 21 August 2012

Jamie O's Steak Sarnie


When checking through some of the Meal Planning Monday entries the other week, I spotted this recipe on the Not So Super Scottish Mummy blog.  It's a Jamie Oliver recipe and comes from his 30 Minute Meals book. I've had the book for a really long time and not actually cooked anything until now, so in the interest of trying to make the most out of my cookery book collection and because it sounded blummin' delicious I thought I'd give it a try.

The first thing I am going to say is 30 Minute Meals? My h'arse. I think it probably took me an hour to make this along with the associated gubbins. If you've not got the book, each meal contains sides, so the steak sarnie is accompanied by a beetroot salad, cheesy mushrooms and crispy new potatoes. It's not complicated and the recipes are laid out in the order you need to do things which is rather helpful but it's just tricky to do it in 30 minutes. Plus Jamie practically makes you use every implement and tool in the kitchen. I wonder what he allocates for cleaning up time...

Anyway, this was a success, despite me over-horseradishing the sarnie for Mr M (personally I like the pain you get in your nose from too much horseradish or mustard). The sandwich was really tasty and it's definitely something we'll have again. The beetroot salad was nice, I was a bit alarmed at the mushiness of it, but it was fine however I probably wouldn't bother with it next time and I'd probably skip the mushrooms too. The crispy new potatoes however were delicious and I think this will always be my preferred method of cooking them. In fact I've already cooked them again since I made this recipe.

The recipe serves 4.


Jamie O's Steak Sarnie

For the steak sarnie;
2 x 300g best-quality rump steaks
2 sprigs fresh thyme
1 ciabatta loaf
small handful of jarred peppers
couple of springs of flat-leaf parsley
horseradish sauce, to serve
large handful of rocket, to serve

For the mushrooms;
4 large flat Portobello mushrooms
2 cloves garlic
1/2 fresh red chilli
2 sprigs of fresh flat-leaf parsley
1/2 lemon
70g mature Cheddar cheese

Potatoes;
500g baby new potatoes
6 cloves garlic
a few sprigs of fresh rosemary
1/2 lemon

Beetroot salad;
1 x 250g cooked vac-packed beetroots
balsamic vinegar
1/2 lemon
a bunch of fresh flat-leaf parsley
50g feta cheese

Seasonings required - olive oil, extra virgin olive oil, sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

Method

Put a griddle pan over a medium heat and a large frying pan over a high heat. Pre-heat the oven to about 180c. Fill and boil the kettle and put the coarse grater attachment onto your food processor.

First take your potatoes and cut any large potatoes in half. Squash 6 unpeeled cloves of garlic with the flat of a knife. Add both the potatoes and garlic to the large empty frying pan and sprinkle over some sea salt. Pour in enough boiling water to cover everything and cook for around 15 minutes until the potatoes are cooked through.


Trim the stalks off the mushrooms and place the mushroom (stalk side up) in a small oven-proof dish, they should fit quite snugly. Crush 1/2 a clove of garlic over each mushroom. Finely chop 1/2 a red chilli and some parsley and divide between the mushrooms. Grate the zest of 1/2 a lemon over the mushrooms, drizzle with olive oil and season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cut the cheddar into four chunks and put one on each of the mushrooms.

For the beetroot salad, grate the beetroot in the processor then remove the bowl from the processor (carefully removing the grater attachment and dying your hands and the entire kitchen pink in the process) and pour in a couple of lugs* of balsamic vinegar and a few lugs* of extra virgin olive oil.  Squeeze in the juice of 1/2 a lemon and finely chop a bunch of parsley and add most of it in with the beetroot. Stir well and tip into a serving bowl. Scatter over the remaining parsley, crumble over the feta cheese, drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and take to the table.

Bake the mushrooms in the oven for 9-10 minutes, until the cheese has melted and they are golden.

Pop the steaks onto a wooden board. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, thyme leaves and drizzle with olive oil. Rub the flavours into the meat and then repeat on the other side of the steak. Pound the steaks a couple of times to flatten them a little then put them into the hot griddle pan and cook to your liking. (I normally do 3 minutes on each side for medium-well done). 


Check the potatoes are cooked through and drain. Return the pan to the heat, add some olive oil and tip the potatoes back in. Use a potato masher to lightly burst the skins open, add some rosemary and salt and toss for until golden and crispy.

Put the ciabatta into the oven then finely chop the peppers on a clean board. Move the steaks to the same board and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil. Chop some parsley leaves and mix with the peppers and steak juices. Scrape the peppers to one side and slice the steaks at an angle.

Remove the mushrooms from the oven and take them straight to the table. Get the ciabatta out of the oven and slice it open. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and spread over the horseradish before arranging the rocket leaves on one half. Lay the steak slices on top and scatter the peppers over the meat, fold the two halves together and take to the table. Tip the potatoes onto a serving platter and take to the table.



* I don't know how much a lug is either, I winged it.

Does it sound like something you could knock up in 30 minutes? I've fiddled with the recipe method a bit as it makes more sense my way, I think.

I skipped the jarred peppers used in the sandwich on this occasion as Mr M is not keen on them. I don't feel it was detrimental to the recipe and I may or may not use them in the future, depending on whether I have any open at the time.

As a Morphy Richards Innovator I used the new Hand Blender Work Centre they recently sent me to do my beetroot grating and a review of that is coming very soon!

1 comment:

  1. I made this as my treat for getting to WW goal - good recipe but the sides were too much, as in all his 30 minute meals. Did manage it in half an hour though!

    ReplyDelete

I always like to hear your thoughts, so please do leave a comment!