Friday, 17 August 2012

Friday Foody Round-Up #6

It's been a long time since I've down a Friday Foody Round-Up and I had meant to do this a few weeks ago but it's been a really busy few weeks and I just don't know where the time goes!  If you've not seen me write one of these posts before, this is where I tell you all about the foods I have been trying. I've been sent a variety of foody products recently so I am just going to launch into it!

Chocolate Cheerios


My children are both loyal fans of Cheerios and have been since an early age when I used to give them dry as a snack in their highchair so when I was offered a box of the new chocolate variety I thought why not. Now I am not going to go into the rights and the wrongs of a chocolate breakfast, I'm sure I've talked about it before when reviewing another breakfast cereal but needless to say, I am of the belief that everything in moderation is okay and I'd rather my children ate a chocolate cereal than none at all! Anyway... My children were keen to try the Chocolatey Cheerios and finished the box. In their words they thought they were "yum" however I have to say, I don't think they went down quite as well as the Original version so I think we'll probably be sticking to that, although these would be nice for a change every now and again.

Soreen


Who doesn't love malt loaf? Honestly, when they first started selling pre-sliced malt loaf a few years back I nearly whooped in the supermarket aisle, after all, it's not the easiest thing to cut up without mushing it is it? I was sent a box full of Soreen products to try out that included a Toastie Loaf, a banana loaf, lunchbox loaves and some of the snackers. Needless to say they were all delicious. I loved the little lunchbox loaves as I had never seen these before and will definitely be popping one of these into my daughters lunchbox in the future (not my son, he's way too fussy an eater - he doesn't get it from me!) and the snackers were delicious and were perfect with a mid-afternoon tea. The toastie loaf was fabulous squidgy even when toasted and was great with lashings of real butter. 

Angel Delight


A surprise parcel arrived for me around Jubilee time - yes that is a jelly mould of the Queen! I haven't had Angel Delight in years, perhaps since I was a child however this was not Angel Delight as I knew it, this was Angel Delight Ice Cream Mix. I was interested to try it as it seemed rather easy to knock up. All you have to do is mix the sachet together with chilled fresh milk in a bowl and whisk until it has doubled in volume, add in any extras and freeze in a sealed plastic box for a minimum of 4 hours. So easy and I found it was quite a fun activity to do with the children. I was sent Strawberry, Butterscotch and Chocolate flavour along with a few bits and bobs to throw in it like toffee pieces, nuts, choc chops and marshmallows. It also comes in Vanilla. Our favourite was  the strawberry flavour! It's available in Tesco and Asda with a RRP of around £1 per pack.

Dr Oetker


Recently I was sent some sprinkles from Dr Oetker's home baking range. I'm a fan of Dr Oetker products and have used them on many occasions but this was the first time I'd seen this particular items and have to say I thought they were lovely.  I was sent some Soft Shimmer Pearls, Sugar Butterflies and Polka Dots. The Soft Shimmer Pearls are lovely shades of pink, yellow, blue, green and red and are really pretty. The butterflies and the polka dots are in similar colours. You can use all of the sprinkles to ice biscuits and cakes, simply sprinkle onto wet icing, or you could even use them on ice-cream.  I thought these were really pretty and so did my baking-mad 6 year old!



In addition to these food products I've tried recently I want to tell you about a few other things I've been made aware of.  I've blogged before about how much I enjoy New Convent Garden soups? They are my absolute favourite and they are fab because they contain no additives, preservatives, flavourings or colourings etc. If you've not tried the Mexican Chipotle Chicken you've not lived. Seriously. Anyway, they sent me a release that told me about one of their new products and I liked the sound of it so much I thought I'd share it.


Called "Fresh Bowls" the product comprises of a delicious soup base and a selection of fresh vegetables separated by a tray in a microwaveable pack format. The vegetables are cooked by the steam from the soup and then you drop them into the steaming bowlful by removing the tray - apparently making it "souper fresh". I really like the idea of these, I've not tried them yet but when I see them in the supermarket I shall pick one up as they sound perfect for lunch when I am at work. They currently come in two flavours; Red Thai Sweet Potato & Coconut and Smokey Tomato & Red Pepper. They are available now in major supermarkets and independent retailers nationwide, priced around £2.99.

One of the other products I was asked to try was a new product from Kenco. Not being a coffee-fan I turned down the chance to review but am happy to share the info as I'm sure there are a lot of coffee-lovers out there! Following on from the success of Kenco Millicano, Kenco have unveiled a caffeine free version of it's whole-bean instant coffee.


Kenco Millicano Caff Free has the same combination of instant coffee and finely-milled beans as the original, the difference being that it is decaffeinated. It is available from August 2012 with an RRP of £4.70 for the 100g tin and £3.59 for the 85g refill pack.


And that my friends is all have to say about food for now! I'll be back with another Friday Foody Round-Up in the near future!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I always like to hear your thoughts, so please do leave a comment!