Sunday, 23 October 2011

Restaurant Review: Miller & Carter Poole


When we were recently on a trip to Poole we needed to find somewhere to eat out with the children and after a quick search on the internet and my old trusty friend (Tripadvisor) we decided to try the Miller & Carter Steakhouse in Poole. Note: This review is a bit gushing but I assure you, they have not paid me for this post, it all came out of my own pocket!

I'd never heard of the Miller & Carter brand (but I now know they are part of the Mitchells & Butlers group) but the website and menu looked smart and impressive, so completely judging a book by its cover we thought we'd give it a whirl. It was situation in an area of Poole that I'd not really frequented before in what I believe, used to be a Beefeater restaurant.

Our first impression was that it was very quiet. It was a Sunday teatime and I expected it to be busier so this immediately made me a little nervous however with hindsight I think this might be down to its location - it's quite far out of the town and you definitely have to drive there. 

Obviously it being quiet worked to our advantage - we got seated in a very nice booth straightaway.  Our waitress sorted us out with our drinks very quickly whilst we perused the menu.  The children's menu sounded lovely with a good selection of meals - even a rump steak! Mine opted for the grilled chicken breast and the other had the chicken burger. Having sampled  a bit of their meal I can confirm that the grilled chicken was delicious!

We decided to skip starters and for his main Mr M chose the gammon and free-range eggs which came a flat mushroom and fries (£9.95). He was very pleased with choice, everything was cooked well and tasted lovely. I opted for steak. It's always a risky choice when you eat out as I have had more than one ropey gristly steak before now and get one that is cooked to your liking can also be tricky. It's for this reason that Mr M normally avoids steak. Well, he was jealous.  

Okay, so that is a really rubbish iPhone photo but you get the gist. It's not it's best side - as it's best side is over there *points behind sauce pot to the onion loaf*.

I chose the 8oz rump steak which was cooked to my liking (medium-well done) to perfection with hardly a bit of fat on it. But that's not the best bit. The steaks at Miller & Carter are a treat to behold! Not only do they come with parsley butter, seasoned fries (or jacket potato) but they also come with a slice of the most delicious onion loaf and a huge wedge of iceberg lettuce with your choice of topping. I opted for caesar dressing with croutons but other options included garlic & chive mayo with parmesan, stilton and bule cheese, classic cocktail sauce and croutons or bacon with honey mustard dressing.  I thought the wedge of lettuce was a very cheap, simple idea but very effective. We're all big lettuce eaters in our house, so it went down a storm!
The impressive wedge of lettuce.

There is also a good selection of steak sauces - bearnaise, bordelaise (which I had - it was delish!), peppercorn, Red wine & shallot, blue cheese mushroom & bacon, hickory maple BBQ sauce and five mushroom chasseu.

We didn't stay for dessert although I totally wish we had! Banoffee pie, eton mess, chocolate brownie, lemon tart...to name but a few! We also ended up wishing we'd tried some of the starters!

We enjoyed the whole experience at Miller & Carter Poole so much - the pub was lovely, staff were really nice, friendly and helpful and the food was just lovely. We loved it so much we immediately got on to the internet to see if there was one near home and were pleased to discover there is, with another one a bit closer opening soon. No doubt we'll be regulars!

love & kisses
Mrs M x

2 comments:

  1. Your talk of seasoned fries has me almost foaming at the mouth, I'm craving some chips right now. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks yummy!! Fab review, one of my fave meals x

    ReplyDelete

I always like to hear your thoughts, so please do leave a comment!