Tuesday, 13 September 2011

Kashmiri Chicken


I don't make curries nearly enough, I think the problem is that I have a very good Indian restaurant nearby and they do it so much better than I can! I'm probably not being totally fair to myself as when I do make them Mr M and I both really enjoy them but it's always nicer to have your food cooked for you isn't it!

I was prompted into making this by some curry pastes that I was sent from Patak's. I've always used Patak's curry pastes, I can't rate them highly enough and you can quite easily knock up simple, tasty dishes by adding a spoonful of paste. For some reason, my most used paste is the Korma paste although I rarely eat Korma so I have no idea why that is! 

I was sent a jar of the Kashmiri Masala paste. I'd never used this paste before so was interested to try it but a bit scared by the 5 chillies heat rating! I needn't have worried though, it was fine. Hot, definitely had a kick but not overly so.  I searched around for a bit of inspiration and found this recipe on the Patak's website.  We both really enjoyed it - it contained two of my favourite curry ingredients, cashews and raisins and it was simple to make. It didn't take too long to put together either which made it perfect for after work.

I fiddled with the recipe slightly as the quantities irked me a little - can't be doing with weighing onions, or leaving 1/3 of a can of chopped tomatoes behind! This recipe serves 4 people and I served it with some plain naan and some white basmati rice.

Kashmiri Chicken

Ingredients

2tbsp vegetable oil
400g chicken breast, diced
1 onion, sliced
400g can chopped tomatoes
2tbsp Patak's Kashmiri Masala Curry Paste
25g cashew nuts
25g raisins
100ml single cream
75ml water

Method

Heat the vegetable oil in a large pan and gently fry the sliced onions for 2 minutes. Add the curry paste and cook for a further 2 minutes. If the curry paste begins to stick you can sprinkle a little water in to make sure it doesn't burn.  

Add the chicken to the pan and cook for around 3-4 minutes until beginning to brown. Add in the cashew nuts, raisins and chopped tomatoes and cook for a further 10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked all the way through.  If the sauce begins to look a bit dry, add in some water.

When the chicken is cooked, add the cream to the pan and check the seasoning. Add a little salt or sugar if required and heat gently for 2 minutes.

Serve immediately.

The recipe also suggested garnishing with fresh coriander. I've left it off the ingredients because it's one of those things I'll do if I have it but leave of if I don't. I may also have used a smidgen more raisins and cashew nuts than is specified...but that's one of those things that you can decide yourself.

Enjoy!

love & kisses
Mrs M x

4 comments:

  1. I love curry's and thankfully so do my boys

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm looks yummy, I love a nice curry.

    Sadie x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm exactly the same - don't cook curries nearly enough because we have a fabulous takeaway literally across the road from us...at least with homemade though you have a little more control over the amount of oil used!

    This looks absolutely scrummy, and I wonder if you could sub yoghurt for double cream?

    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks lovely! Thanks for sharing, I'm definitely going to give it a go :)

    ReplyDelete

I always like to hear your thoughts, so please do leave a comment!