Tuesday, 4 May 2010

Here come the girls...

Yes, finally, the chooks have landed. We collected them on Sunday and introduced to them to their new home, I'd spent Saturday lovingly painting it a nice heritage shade of green. I'd proudly like to introduce the newest members of my family.

Beryl


Peggy


Marjorie


Edna


The girls are all Gingernut Rangers/Goldlines which are a hybrid, a mix of a Rhode Island Red with a Light Sussex and they are just so lovely. I chose this breed for their temperament and the fact that they should be good layers. An hour after they arrived they were eating corn out of the palm of my hand, I swear if I'd sat down they would have got on my lap. If I go near the walk-in run they come over clucking at me. Well, three of them do - Beryl, Peggy and Marjorie. Edna is another matter, she's absolutely crackers, you throw corn - she runs the other way! She was a nightmare to get into the hen house the first night too. Loopy nuts. She has this slightly deranged look about her...

I was a proud chicken-mother last night when on their second night with us they all took themselves off to bed without us having to chase them around the run again. I'm all worried at night though that the fox will come and get them - there was one on my driveway last night but we've tried to make sure they are as secure as possible.

The kids LOVE them, they love feeding them corn and other little bits, which whilst cute, is bring ing out my competitive nature. They are MY chickens, back off ankle biters!

Imagine the excitement when they lay their first egg, we'll all be fighting over it. My chooks are about 17 weeks old so I would expect to see a little eggy in about 3-4 weeks. Typically, they'll lay when I go on holiday won't they and mother-in-law will get the first egg experience, and then I'll cry. Boo.

love & kisses
Mrs M x

9 comments:

  1. I think I like the sound of Edna!

    Happy new Chickens!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your chickens. My money is on Beryl to lay the first egg. Very jealous. Would love to have chickens, but haven't got the space. One day though..

    ReplyDelete
  3. They're lovely looking ladies. Bet you'll be making some spectacular sponges with their bottom fresh eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so envious - terms of our deeds mean we can't have livestock. Oh I hope you get the first egg lovley

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your comments, they are lovely little girls and settling in very well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woo hoo! Welcome to the world of chickens! They are fab aren't they - hope they lay their first whilst your around to mark the occaision

    ReplyDelete
  7. chooks? how do you get from the word chicken to chooks and how did I never hear it ever. Blogging is teaching me soo much :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha, I've no idea - it's slang for chicken. I think it originated in Australia!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can find what's the difference between them.How can you identify them?Cheap Peridot Beads

    ReplyDelete

I always like to hear your thoughts, so please do leave a comment!