Friday, 16 April 2010

Slow-cooked Steak & Mushrooms


The other night I wanted something yummy for tea and I knew that it would involve dauphinoise potatoes as I had a real craving for them so I had a good rummage through my recipe folder - this is actually three folders of recipes copied/pulled out of magazines and filed in very strict categories...

This recipe caught my eye, originally published in Essentials magazine some time last year I believe. It was so simple and easy but really tasty, we all really enjoyed it so great family fodder. Definitely a keeper for the future. I halved this recipe and it fed two adults and two small children easily.

Slow-cooked Steak & Mushrooms

Ingredients

1 tbsp olive oil
700g braising steak, cut into 4cm chunks
400g shallots, peeled and kept whole
400g button mushrooms
1 onion, peeled and sliced
2 gloves garlic, finely chopped
2 sticks celery, chopped
2 tbsp plain flour
2 tbsp tomato puree
200ml red wine
600ml beef stock
2 bay leaves
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce

Method

Pre-heat the oven to 180c/gas mark 4. Heat the oil in an ovenproof casserole dish and fry the beef in batches. When browned remove from the pan. Brown the shallots and mushrooms and set aside with the beef.

Add the onion, garlic and celery to the pan and cook for 5 mins. Stir in the flour and tomato puree, add the wine, stock, bay leaves and Worcestershire sauce and cook for a few minutes.

Return the beef, mushrooms and shallots to the pan. Cover and put it in the oven for 1 hour and 10 minutes.

I served the steak and mushrooms with whole green beans and the delicious dauphinoise potatoes.

love & kisses
Mrs M x

3 comments:

  1. I could do that in my slow cooker!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, would work in a slow cooker I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh that looks so tasty! Great recipe. I have a slow cooker too, that's lying sadly neglected! Will give this a try! x

    ReplyDelete

I always like to hear your thoughts, so please do leave a comment!