Wednesday, 7 April 2010

New Potato, Bacon & Blue Cheese Salad


Another recipe from BBC Good Food. I've recently feeling like I need to get a little bit more inspired with my salads and now have a whole list of them waiting to be made. I know it's not quite salad season yet but as this one is warm, I don't think it really matters.

Mr M looked nervous at the sound of last night's dinner but he need not have worried as we both loved it. I loved the new potatoes being roasted and the whole thing was just really tasty and satisfying. We'll definitely make it again, and again.

The recipe said it serves 4. As a main meal? I'd say perhaps 3 with something on the side (we had garlic ciabatta) but then we're are a bit piggy at times. I'd also add that it could really take a bit more bacon. 4 rashers didn't seem enough, so I used 5 but honestly, 6 or 7 wouldn't have been overkill - but perhaps I just likes me bacon.

New Potato, Bacon and Blue Cheese Salad


Ingredients

500g new potatoes, halved
2 tbsp olive oil
2 red onions, sliced into 6 wedges each
4 rashers smoked back bacon, trimmed and cut into large pieces
140g sliced mushrooms
1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
100g mixed salad
85g creamy blue cheese

Method

Heat oven to 220C/gas 7. Place the potatoes in a roasting tin, then rub with 1 tbsp oil and a sprinkling of salt. Roast for 20 mins, then add the onion wedges to the tin, giving everything a good shake. Roast for 20 mins more until the potatoes have turned a deep golden brown and the onions have caramelised and softened. Leave to cool slightly.

Heat a non-stick frying pan. Dry-fry the bacon until crisp. Add the sliced mushrooms, then fry for 5 mins more until they have softened.

Meanwhile, make the dressing. Whisk the mustard, vinegar and remaining 1 tbsp oil with a splash of water. Place potatoes, onions, bacon and mushrooms in a large bowl with the salad leaves, pour over the dressing, then toss well. Divide between 4 plates, then crumble over the blue cheese.


I used Tesco's French Leaf Salad which was a bit controversial as Mr M is an Iceberg type of guy and as suggested on the BBC Good Food website, I bought St Agur cheese which is wonderfully creamy.

love & kisses
Mrs M x

4 comments:

  1. Mmm, sounds good. You can never have too much bacon. Hope you're recuperating nicely x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm, sounds good. You can never have too much bacon. Hope you're recuperating nicely x

    ReplyDelete
  3. yummmmmm
    you made me hungry now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whilst I rate Bbc goodfood recipes, I find their portions do come up small! I've wondered if they are meant for 2 adults and 2 small children..

    Anyway, love everything about this salad, simply delicious!

    ReplyDelete

I always like to hear your thoughts, so please do leave a comment!